An Environmentalist: In this Global Pandemic?

An Environmentalist: In this Global Pandemic?

Image: Pinterest 

Hello dear reader,

I'm Bibi, and if you'll check my previous posts, you'd notice that I was a bit apathetic to the idea of becoming an environmentalist. Am I one now? Not completely, but I'm definitely geared in that direction.


Now, you might wonder - if you aren't, please wonder with me - "What exactly does an environmentalist mean?"
There have been so many meanings attached to this one word. I mean...

Is an environmentalist a guy with two different colours of socks who goes about hollering that we need to protect the environment, but has no clue how to comb his hair before leaving his room or is it a guy like Chris Hemsworth in his perfectly tailored suit looking all smug and giving a calm, collected speech about endangered species?

Is an environmentalist a crazy, boldfaced person like Arya Stark in Game of Thrones, who only sees things in black and white or a calculated, conniving, two faced person like Cersei Lannister in the same movie?



Or better yet, is an environmentalist an old man who is concerned because his mango tree has refused to bear fruits?
I truly wonder what it means too.

But then again, how does this help anyone in this pandemic. You're locked in and you haven't worn makeup in the past 2 weeks. When your boyfriend called yesterday with WhatsApp video call, he told the person on the screen to give the phone to you. You were the person on the screen. The lockdown is so bad, you want to buy soya, but you can't. Your mother says the meat has coronavirus. You haven't been to a party in weeks because of the lockdown and you decided to have a Facebook watch party to ease the boredom but then there's no food. And that's the only reason you attend parties. For the food!

Image: Pinterest 

Now, I do not understand how you feel. No clue whatsoever! But I can relate. I've been sneezing for a while now, and every time I do that, my brother shouts "coronaviiiiirus", courtesy of you know who.

I'm not here to bore you, I'm here to show you tons of opportunities. You already have a paying job? Oh you're in school and you don't need this or you're just not interested because it's related to the environment. I strongly doubt that though. I mean, you're here.

But before I show you, what exactly does this word mean...

The Oxford Dictionary defines it as 'a person who is concerned about protecting the environment.'

But is that all there is to it? If that is it, I'm not sure I want to be a part of it.

Wait! There's more! Join me next week for the second part in this series. Because if I were to continue writing, at some point, you'd say "It's not me, it's you!"

Author:

Bibitayo Omidiora is a content creator, and like so many people in this world, has only just begun to understand the need to partake in the fight to save the earth.

As such, in conjunction with Stac Green Club, we will not stop until we all see the value in what is deemed nonsense.


Don't forget to join us again next week. Adios!!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technologies that can save the environment